Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Feelings on Critics and Book Reviews

I thought I better take a minute or two to clarify my personal feelings on Critics or Reviewers in general. I don't like them. I can and do make up my own about the books I read or the movies I see.In fact, if a reviewer says, It's one of the best books/movies of the year; I will almost always hate it. Conversely. if they say its a bomb; I'll love it.

Just because someome moderates a book group or offers reviews in the various media formats, the only opinion that counts is the reader or viewer. The only rule I have in my book group is everyone's opinion is as important as the next persons. You might disagree with some of the things I say about books or authors, it adds to the discussion as long as we all play nice.

I quit believing in experts way back when Siskel and Ebert said Chevy Chase's movie "Funny Farm" was one of the years funniest in 1988. It stunk . At least that was my opinion. I hope in the next week or so I'll give you some books to love or hate depending on your preference. Your opinion is the only one that matterswhatever a critic might say.

No comments: