Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Annoying Christmas Songs

There are are a lot of classic Christmas songs...both religious and secular that we all love. However, there are a few that would put me on Santa's naughty list if I could have a face to face with their composer. Some become earwigs...I can't get them out of my head once I hear them...some just don't make sense to me. Here are my top...hmmm...or would it be bottom 5?  Feel free to disagree with me or add to the list in the comment section.

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer- Elmo & Patsy

I admit I liked this song the first fifty or so times I heard it. Cute novelty song...It became a victim of overkill...played way too much.




Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt

I never did understand this song. Santa would be on his own naughty list...and she's kind of a gold digger.



Dominick the Donkey - Lou Monte

I like novelty songs. Rudolph, Frosty, Ding a ling the Christmas Bell...but Dominick leaves me scratching my head. I think it's the LaLaLaLaLaLa etc that gets me.



Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano

 I remember first hearing this song on the American Bandstand Show. Jose said that he thought it was time for a new Christmas song. He paused and added of course I thought it was time for a new version of the National Anthem too. The song is extremely repetitive...almost as repetitive as the number of times radio stations play it during the holidays.

 

Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney

Repetitive...Paul doesn't sound like he's having a wonderful Christmas time while he's raking in the royalties to this overplayed confusing song...enough to make me say with Scrooge:
If I could work my will,' said Scrooge indignantly, `every idiot who goes about with "Wonderful Christmas Time" on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!' (Paraphrased and Adapted with apologizes to Charles Dickens)



There you have it. These are the songs that I find most annoying this time of year. They are the ones to bring out the humbug in me.







No comments: