Pages

Friday, July 3, 2020

DVD Review: "Odd Thomas"

Odd Thomas
I waited with anxious anticipation for my request of “Odd Thomas” to arrive. Hollywood has a
long history of changing crucial elements of a favorite series. I must say I was pleasantly
surprised by director Stephen Sommers  take on the Dean Koontz series. With some
relatively minor exceptions, it was the closest book to movie interpretation that I’ve seen.

For those of you unfamiliar with the books, Odd is a small town fry cook who has
paranormal abilities. He can see dead people. Odd can also see bodachs who are
wraith like demons who are attracted to pain and destruction. When he sees his town of
Pico Mundo overrun with bodachs, he realizes it heralds a near apocalyptic event.
Enlisting the help of his girlfriend, Stormy, and the local police chief, Odd races against
time to save the day.

Odd Thomas” stars Anton Yelchin. He does an excellent job portraying Odd’s
quirkiness and naivety. There is a strong supporting cast featuring Addison Timlin as
Stormy and Willem Dafoe as Chief Wyatt Porter. The movie is able to capture
the essence of Koontz’s creation.

I loved the blend of supernatural, humor with scenes of intense action. It is filled with
twists and turns. I  impatiently waited for its release since I first read it was in
production. I was hoping that “Odd Thomas” was the first in a movie franchise.
My hopes were dashed when Anton Yelchin died in a freak accident at his home.

No comments: