Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Lucifer Code by Charles Brokaw

This particular blog of mine was originally going to be used as a book review, discussion, etc site.  I just couldn't tear myself away from Blogstream to do anything with it, but like they say necessity is the mother of invention. With the Stream's soon demise, I decided to blend the old and new with periodic updates to what I've pulled off my bookshelf to read.
 
I just finished The Lucifer Code by Charles Brokaw. If you like nonstop action and plot that leans a bit toward wanting to be a new DaVinci Code, this is the book for you.  The story opens with Professor Thomas Lourds, a linguistic genius and self purported ladies man, being the target of a botched kidnapping in Turkey.  What follows is a wild ride, that is complete with a secret society, an nubile I.R.A. operative, a governmental conspiracy, an ancient manuscript, and as the title denotes Lucifer himself.

If i had to describe the plot of this book in movie terms, it'd be like most of the early Dan Aykroyd movies...car chases, explosions, and an unbelievable plot.  It's like the author was trying to channel Dan Brown and something went awry.  Having said that, The Lucifer Code was very enjoyable.  If you're looking for an adventure story with Biblical overtones, it is the book for you. I'd give it a 3.5 stars in my 5 star rating system. I'd recommend it in paperback or check it out of the library. Take care till next time.


 

 


4 comments:

notacynic said...

Maybe when I'm done with school (soon).

Bookworm said...

notacynic,
It'd be a good summer read on a beach. :-)

the yellow fringe said...

Ya gotta love a review that combines "nubile" with "I.R.A". I don't know why but some words are funny to me, besides "nubile", I also think "festooned" is hilarious, and "strumpet", combine the three and you have the start of your comedy act.

Bookworm said...

YF,
Glad you liked the review...What gets me about books like this are the Profs are good looking...arrogant...women magnets...Most of the Profs I k've seen over the years were anything but that. LOL